Coconut Lemon Sugar Cookies

It seems to me everyone I know is headed to some place warm this holiday season equipped with a beach, fruity drink, and sunshine.  I won't lie, I'm wishing I was on a plane to Hawaii or Florida, but I'm not.  So, I made a summery cookie to go along with our mele ka leke maka sing-a-long during the holiday season. Here it is! Enjoy! 

Cookie:
3 C Flour
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 C Sugar
3 Tablespoons Sour Milk
1 Egg
4 Tablespoons Coconut Extract 
1 C Butter, Cubed 

Icing: 
3 C Powdered Sugar
1/4 C Milk
1/4 C Light Karo Syrup 
3 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Coconut Extract

Directions: 
Cream the butter and the sugar together until the butter is blended into the sugar nicely. 



Once it looks like it's blended all together, put your egg, extract and milk in.  
Cream together on medium speed.
Slowly add your flour, baking powder and salt into the dough.
It will be hard to mix after all the four is added in.
Just keep mixing! I promise it will come together eventually. Mix until your dough forms a ball. 
Transfer dough into a glass bowl and refrigerate for thirty minutes.  (It has to be a glass bowl. Do not use plastic. The dough will taste mildly plastic and will loose it's quality, trust me!) 
After the dough has been refrigerated, transfer it out onto a floured surface.  Roll dough out and use cookie cutters to shape the cookies.  I didn't do the whole batch all at once.  I did the dough in thirds and kept the rest in the refrigerator so it would stay firm. 




 Once you've transported them to the cookie sheets, bake at 350° for 6 minutes. 
Leave the cookies on the sheet once you've taken them out of the oven for 2-3 minutes to let them continue to bake.  
Then transport them onto a wire cooling rack. 


Start the process over until the dough is all gone! 

Once all your cookies have cooled for at least an hour make the icing.  
For the icing: 
Mix together the powdered sugar and milk until it is completely smooth.  
Add the syrup and the flavorings into the mixture.  Mix until it is well combined.  

Here comes the fun part! Here is where you can transfer the icing into bowls and color them different, I chose to leave them white (I was on a bit of a time crunch!) 
Then put the icing into a piping bag or into bottles with a fine tip. 
Ice the cookies around the outside then fill the middle with icing. 
There are TONS of tutorials on how to ice cookies and how to "become a pro". 
If you don't have a piping bag, no worries! A butter knife will work in a pinch. 
Remember to stay away from the edges too much because the icing may run off the edges (it happened to a few of mine). 
Let the icing dry for at least an hour (preferably longer) and then you can set them on each other to transport them. 

Here are what a few of my cookies looked like



 And that's all there is to it! I hope this cookie will satisfy your (and my) beach craving! 

Enjoy your weekend folks! 

Comments

Popular Posts